Friday, June 15, 2012

Garden ~ Soil As Soft As Cake Flour

Our garden soil looks wonderful!




This year Paul rented a rototiller for the day at Ahearns Rental on 800 W. It costs about $55. A new one cost $1500. We need it done only once a year. So it was wonderful to have a rental place in town that offered this amazing attachment for our Kabota tractor. The mix of grass clippings, chicken manure and llama beans we added all year long  got mixed into the clay and the blades cut the hard clods of dirt deep and when it was done it looked like course flour.


I made my rows  April 25, 2012. This year we had such a mild winter we were able to start earlier. the earth was so easy to work with. I enjoyed making the 3 sections of rows. The one in the foreground is for Peaces and Cream Corn. I planted 95 seeds.




I made my rows the next day.




The little green tips of corn came up one Mothers Day May 13. I was so excited !


Peaches and Cream Corn Sprout




I discovered a volunteer Wallflower and last years Catnip in one of my garden boxes. How nice to see it there.





I am planting celery, beets, parsnip, radishes, spinach, carrots, squash, pumpkin and more to mark what was in the rows I cut stakes out of a milk jug and painted them with acrylics. It was so much fun adding color to the garden.



Homemade plant stakes
Thanks for visiting Little Utah Farm. Say..How does your garden grow?
Until next time, Happy Spring !
Deborah

No comments:

Post a Comment