Friday, March 18, 2011

Time For Dog Obedience School



This is Kollie now 6 months old.



Kollie is a teenage bombshell, full of independence, lot's of bursting energy and smart too! I was crushed one day when my obedient little puppy refused to come to me. "Kollie?" I repeated. No response except for a little come hither look in her eye and off she went in the other direction. All those hours of training and treats have gone to the wayside. She and I are at a crossroads and I am the one who needs training! Walker our 2 year old Australian Shepherd needs experience socializing with other dogs and training so we signed him up first.  Our human family members and Walker signed  up for obedience classes at the Hitchin Post in Enoch,  just up the road from us.


 We were to leave our dogs at home for the first class. It is basically the humans that need training in communicating with their dogs. We were greeted at the door by a very large German Shepherd named Gunner. He was so gentle and well behaved. A beautiful and calm Siamese cat followed behind him and brushed past my pant leg. The wood floor was clear and open. The atmosphere was friendly and inviting. I could hear Ceasar Milan and my eyes caught his video playing on the monitor screen in a corner of the room. There where a few chairs lined up against the walls for us humans to sit while Pam gave her educational presentation on dog training.  My grandson and I sat down on the folding green chairs, while Paul went up and signed in for the course. Ceasar's heart warming and encouraging miracles gave me a spark of hope.  I was thinking of my little Kollie and our 2 other dogs and each family member and how we could achieve a harmonious way of life together. There were quite a few people there with various challenges and questions. Pam Williams, our trainer, explained to us that dogs are programmed just like wolves and our pets were not furry little humans. I felt my head sink as my visions of Kollie as my little baby dissolved. Though I could still love her as my companion and play with her it was also my responsibility to learn how to communicate in a way she could understand and educate her on the house rules. As Pam spoke and demonstrated with her own dogs, I was beginning to understand my dogs behavior better, I was beginning to see a miracle forming for our whole human and fur family!

 Our homework was to spend at least 15 minutes with our dogs heeling on a leash then having them sit down by our left side. Pam says we give verbal commands because we are human and need it but dogs can sense how you feel, what you want them to do and when to do it just by looking at you. Your expressions, your movements your posture all tell the story of who you are and what you can accomplish.We were also to grade the food we feed them also. This was a shocker. She told us to check the ingredients and change their diets. There is information on the internet about this grading system. I would check it out because in the 60 years dog food has been in business dogs are getting more diseases and ailments than they did before. If your dog is losing hair, scratching, has skin irritations, hip dyplasia or tumors, the diet is a good thing to check into.  Most vetenarians do not study nutrition. We love them and what they do for our pets but do your own research. It will save your dogs life and save on vet bills.

Here is the link for Grading Your Dog Food   .http://www.elkcountryanimalshelter.org/GradeDOG%20FOOD.html      Changing our dog food  has increased the shine on our dog's coats and their bowels are now firm. We also removed the ritual of dog bones after they ate because we found wheat made their bowels loose. Because the food is so satisfying they do not even look for their treat. Pam says we can give them a small slice of meat for training or treats. We also give a chunk of Taste of the Wild dry dog food. They love it and it is very good for them.



On the way home from our first dog obedience class, we formed our own alliance and agreed per Pam's instructions, to balance and center ourselves  before we walked into the house. This is one of the most important practices we can do as human beings for ourselves and for our pets. It felt good to be on the same page! Paul told us he was reminded of the training he did with his ultra cool dog Blizzard, a Great Pyrenees. He admitted he had forgotten many of the things he had learned when Blizzard walked the earth. This class was opening our eyes and our hearts. It is a lifelong process of practice and repetition

The truck pulled in the gravel driveway and we all exchanged confident smiles. We were ready and armed with knowledge. The door opened and our "energy" met with their "energy". Three sets of eyes looked up in awe at our balance and confidence. Little Miss Kollie hopped up to greet me and I told her firmly "Off".  It took only seconds for her to know that hopping up on my leg was not acceptable. We all made our way through the kitchen. It was quiet and still. They were reading us. I felt this thrill of accomplishment beam through my chest and I quickly took a deep breath to balance myself. Bedtime was equally as calm and quiet. We had become Leaders of the Pack and I felt respected and accomplished.

Read about when Kollie was a puppy just click on this link:
http://littleutahfarm.blogspot.com/2011/01/little-kollie-moen-border-collie.html


We will be taking Wind Walker to the first session and then we will take Kollie to the next session. We will use what we learn with all our dogs. But it is important to have Kollie and Walker each take a class for socialization and obedience training. The exposure and practice for our family is also valuable.


Contact information for Dog Obedience Training The Hitch'n Post Dog Training Center
 Pam Williams Trainer
The Hitch'n Post also carries some Pet supplies,and does Pet Grooming and Boarding

4200 N Wagon Wheel Dr

Cedar City, UT 84720
(435) 586-7530
Enoch, UT

No comments:

Post a Comment